We’ve been researching various Stories, Science & Secrets for our new podcast series called, sneakily, Stories, Science & Secrets (details soon!), and so we thought we’d post a few Top 10’s. First, dogs and specifically, dogs’ noses! They really are amazing!
Dogs Amazing Noses!
- Dogs have up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, compared to humans’ 6 million, making their sense of smell incredibly powerful.
- Dogs can detect scents up to 100,000 times better than humans can.
- Dogs can detect a single teaspoon of sugar dissolved in a million gallons of water, or two Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Dogs’ sense of smell is so precise that they can differentiate between identical twins based on their individual scents.
- Dogs can detect changes in human blood sugar levels and alert their owners to hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia.
- Dogs can detect some cancers in humans by smelling the volatile organic compounds produced by cancer cells.
- Dogs can locate the source of a scent, such as a person or an object, even if it’s hidden or buried.
- Dogs can track a scent trail that’s several days old and can even distinguish between scents that have been mixed with others.
- Dogs can detect scents through barriers, such as walls or closed containers, by using their sense of smell.
- Some dogs are trained to detect specific scents, such as explosives or drugs, and can work in law enforcement or military settings to keep people safe.
Our new Podcast series, Stories, Science & Secrets will be out soon on Apple, Amazon and anywhere else you listen to podcasts.